Unlike the father of the bride, groom, and best man speeches. The maid of honor speech is not one of the “core” speeches. I like to think of it as a bonus speech. Apart from introducing yourself and thanking the bride and groom, there aren’t really any obligations to this speech. Because of this, it’s a lot of fun.
The key is to start a maid of honor speech with something that will grab the audience’s attention, get them thinking maybe make them laugh. Here are some examples, hopefully these will get you thinking outside the “Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I’m Jenny, Samantha’s maid of honor” box.
1. They say that love creates an ‘us’ without destroying a ‘me’. I was relieved to find this to be true as my sister; Karen is more precious to me than anything in the world. I love that she is still my best friend but I also love being the “third wheel” with her and Brent.
2. I have to admit; I’m a little scared of what we’re creating today folks. They say that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and when the parts are Mike and Cindy then who know what the result will be. A greater perfectionist than Cindy? A greater Lakers fan than Mike? I can’t imagine.
3. They say that love is its own aphrodisiac and is the main ingredient for lasting sex. Having shared an apartment with poor sound proofing with these two for a few months in college, I think I can attest to the depth of their love. (Risky, use with caution).
4. They say that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. These two have battled living in different cities, different time zones and even, in the beginning speaking different languages. It’s been tough but it hasn’t killed their love… it’s only made it stronger.
5. What would you do if a boy spilled red wine all over your white sweater on the first day of your new job? Well if you’re anything like the beautiful Cindy here you’d marry him. These two defiantly got off to a rough start but I think that today this makes their love even stronger.
6. Do you know how difficult it is to find lilac tablecloths for 12-foot long tables? Not light purple, lilac. I didn’t until I started helping my beautiful friend plan her wedding. The insane mastermind behind this event never settles until she gets what she wants. If the beautiful venue here doesn’t convince you of her impeccable taste I’m sure her stunning new husband will.
Hopefully these provided a good starting point for you to go and write an intro about your own special couple.